Thursday, January 29, 2009

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going

A Famous quote by Beverly Sills.

Definitely pertains to what I'm doing right now. I started doubling this week and it's been working out really well; Ive been feeling much better doing it than I did during the fall cross season.

Sunday, the day after the meet, we got up at 10AM and ran a long run on Comm. Ave. It was a tough run up the hills, we were running about 6:50 pace but it felt like a harder effort. I was pretty dead for the rest of my day. I made sure to do a little foam rolling in the suite before I went to bed.

I did my first double of the winter the following day. Mondays have been good days to get a double in since my first class starts at noon. I woke up, headed down to the gym, ran a quick 5 miles, stretched, showered, and headed up to Usdan to get a quick sub before class.
I then doubled back to run 8 miles at practice at 3:30pm with a bunch of guys. I felt a lot more loose on my second run. It was a good decision to start getting some doubles in. I'm trying to run around 70 miles a week and hold that for about a year. In the long term that will help me become a better distance runner.

There are no shortcuts to where I want to be now and in the future. I have to put in the work. To start looking at running times in the 4:10's for the mile I have to put in some smart and solid training. I have a few solid races under my belt at a few smaller meets, so it's time to get sharp and prepare myself for the bigger meets, Tufts, BU Valentines, D3 Northeast, All New Englands, UAA's at the Armory, and possibly D3 Nationals.

Tuesday, I felt really refreshed. Matt Jennings was right in telling me that the double would help me recover. Sunday night I felt like I could barely walk, and on Tuesday I had a ton of energy and my legs felt sharp. Doubling indeed, has been a good idea.

I ran about 54 miles total last week since it was a down week. Interestingly enough, I'm only 5 days into this week and I'm already past 54 miles for the week.

I doubled today, an interesting choice since I was scheduled to run a workout at practice.
Me, Matt Jennings, Devon, and Marc ran 7x400 and 2x200.
It was a good workout, we started off at 66 and made our way down to 61 for the 400s, and finished with 27 in the 200s. My legs definitely felt a little tired in the middle of the workout, but towards the end I felt like I could still do more. The recovery was 2 minutes.

Overall, I ran about 15 miles for the day, which adds a nice amount of miles for my week total. I'm not too concerned about hitting 70 for the week necessarily, I just want to get 2 doubles in a week and manage to feel okay and stay healthy.

A few members of the team are racing at Wheaton Invitational this Saturday, I will not be racing. Other then that We have a lot of good meets to look forward to.

I'm still pumped for Valentine's day. Not because I have anybody in particular that I want to be my valentine, but maybe something else that will grasp my attention, like a race at a fast track.
Can you say BANKED??


Lookin Ahead.

No comments: