Thursday, January 15, 2009

Taking down the Polar Bears

I've been really happy to settle into my routine at school. I've been going getting sleep, going to classes from 11am- 1pm, eating well, hanging out with my buddies, watching the Celtics get their stuff back. It's been great getting back.

On Tuesday I ran a solid workout. I warmed up with the team, then John told Me, Devon, and Chris that we'd be running 3x800,2x300, and 2x200. I felt pretty good during the 800s, actually we were running under 2:20 for them and it felt like I didn't exert much effort. Chris wasn't feeling 100%, he had come from the doctor's because he passed out at church a week or so ago and went to see if there was anything wrong, low blood pressure or anything. I'm not sure what they told him but it didn't sound like he had a serious problem or anything. Still, he wanted to play it safe.
I continued doing the workout with Devon, but during the 300s he said he wasn't feeling the best either so he decided to stop. I think they both ended up taking a day off the next day (Wednesday). I don't blame them, we've had a lot of quality training the past 3-4 weeks. The body can do only so much work. The element of recovery is crucial in running.
"Can't take the training more serious than Recovery"
- says Romania's Constantina Tomescu Dita (Olympic Women's Marathon Champion)

After the past few weeks I've surprisingly still felt on top of my game. During the Cross country season I would take a down week after 3 weeks of solid training usually, and I would feel like I needed it. Now, I feel pretty solid still even after a month of good work.
Well I finished the workout by myself, ran the two 300s in 44 seconds and the 200s in 27 and 26. I definitely felt pretty sharp.

At Bowdoin this weekend, I'm running the 800m. I'm actually pretty excited for it. I am in good shape, and I want to see what I can get out of it. This weekend is going to be kind of Low-Key. I haven't run the 800 in a long time, and my race plan isn't even to hammer it from the gun. It'll be a good meet to sit and kick for the win.
Last year I actually got my first collegiate win at this meet. In the 1000m.

Pic of Bowdoin track (It actually strangely resembles the Brandeis track in the picture):


It'll be a fun meet. Their track actually isn't really a fast track. Also, this meet generally doesn't produce the fastest times. It will be a good first meet to get back into the racing ambiance.

Yesterday I ran 8 miles, and today I actually ran four 200s. We've been doing this for a while. On the Thursdays before a meet, John will have us warm up 20 minutes and run a few 200s. I think it's good, just to get the legs sharp. I ran them mostly in 28, which I think is good. I didn't feel that sharp today, but John and I agree that it's okay, and I've been working hard. We also agree that I'm in the best shape I've been in for a while, so it's time to get racing. Gotta beat those Polar Bears.

I'll probably have a day off next week, and then look forward to our Home Meet. The Reggie Poyou Invitational. It will be my first mile race since getting back and I'm more than eager to race it. My 1200m time trial two weeks ago ( time 3:08) was about 62-63 pace for 3 400ms. I think I might be fit enough to go for 64s each 400m. Time will tell. My legs have been feeling ridiculously strong lately, so I'm excited.
First, Bowdoin. Go Deis!

No comments: