Sunday, January 4, 2009

Only about a week till I'm back in the dorms

Yup, only 8 days till I'm back at school, which I can't wait for really. It'll be nice to be back into the routine i'm in at school and running with the team.

I ran 13 miles out on the streets of Newton today at around 1pm. I ran for about an hour and 30 minutes. I tried to get onto the aqueduct trail run that we run in the summer over in Needham, but the trail was covered by too much snow for me to get any effective running on. I did get to run over the Dam by the mills on the border of Newton/Needham which was nice, the view from the top is excellent.

It was pretty exciting to see that a lot of people were outside running today, whether it was for training for marathons or races, or just the plain new years resolutions to get fit. I saw individuals, I saw packs of runners.. it was great, I got an occasional wave and smile too. There wasn't a cloud in the sky today, it was just a nice day for running; one of those feel good days.

Friday, I ran a pretty satisfying workout at Brandeis. I did 5x800,4x200 with 2 1/2 minutes of rest between 800s and 2 minutes between 200s. It was satisfying in the sense that it felt easier and smoother than my previous workouts. The 800s run in 2:20 felt really smooth, and running 28s for 200s was actually pretty exciting, and well just kinda fun.

I've been recovering well, getting a lot of sleep, drinking a ton of water; I've even been taking daily multivitamins. It's comforting that I've been running good-paced runs and feeling the effects of becoming physically fit.

Paul stayed over Friday night, and we went to the BU mini meet in the morning so that Paul could race a 3k. Paul placed 5th or 6th, in a fast race, with a time of 8:32 which is a PR of about 8 seconds. He said that he was pretty satisfied with the time given that the racing season is pretty much just underway. He also noted that the race itself felt like an easy effort and that it was nice to get back to the BU track again.

I'm pretty excited to get into racing, again. The way that I have been feeling now makes me wonder how out of shape I was only 3 or 4 weeks ago. Out of shape in the sense of lack of speed, and comfortable effort running on the track. It might just be a mental thing, but I really do feel (to give brief adjectives) fit and quick.

Training seems to be going well. First test is January 17th at the Bowdoin Invitational.. but the first real test will come the following Week at the BU track for the Terrier Classic which will probably be my first mile of 2009.

Good health and safety to all.

No comments: