Saturday, February 7, 2009

Coming off a great month of training

January of 2009 has possibly been my best month of training that I've had my entire life. My lowest mileage week was around 60 miles and my highest week was at 71 miles. Not only that, but I felt pretty good for the entire monthly period. when I look at my flotrack running log, I see a lot more consistency in terms of feel and in workouts and running as well as a slight increase in running pace.

I put in some pretty excellent work during January. It's no surprise that this first week of February, I ran 62 miles and felt pretty sluggish. I've been working out well,
actually on Tuesday I ran a 6,4,2,2,4,6 ladder with Devon and Aaron Udel. The last set was run in 28, 59, and 1:35 which is good, the workouts have been getting faster.

At the same time, I've been feeling a little tired, but to no surprise. I ran the 1000m at the Tufts Invite today, and I was 11th in 2:36. I wasn't happy at the time nor with my race at first ( the race consisted of me struggling to hang onto the lead pack from the gun), but I was content with it later.
2:36 is actually a PR,
and it's also a really good indicator that I'm really really fit.
(Coach) John and I agree that I needed the race. With the bigger meets coming up, it's good to get an effort like this in a meet that doesn't matter all that much.

Coming off a mile PR two weeks back, I'm feeling pretty solid.
I've practically run a PR in all of my races this winter, with the exception of the 800 at bowdoin but i was only a second off. I'm in shape to run really well throughout the rest of the season.

There were a good amount of solid performances today at Tufts as well,
Matt Jennings got 3rd in the 1000m with a PR 2:32, Devon was 4th in 2:33.
Beth Pisarik won the mile in 5:10, with Kate Warick 3rd.
Chris Brown won the mile in 4:22, with Marc Boutin 5th in a PR 4:26.
as well as other solid performances that I can't remember off the top of my head.
The girls also ran a Distance Medley Relay last night in New York in 12:12.

The team is doing well, a few of the guys and girls are sick and some of us are coming off a few hard weeks, but this means that the hay is in the barn. We have a lot of good races to look forward to in the future.

No comments: