Sunday, March 8, 2009

Wrapping up the indoor season

Yesterday concluded what has been a season of consistent training that definitely produced a lot of positive results.

I started indoor training in the beginning of December and ran a few 60 mile weeks with some good workouts. Ran a 3:08 1200m on a flat track, a 1:58 at bowdoin the following week in January. Following that was the 4:22, 2:01 double at the Brandeis Meet. I put a 70 mile week in January. Really solid training. I got a tired streak towards the beginning of February, ran a few (what I think) sub par races including a 2:36 1000m and 4:25 mile. Took some down time, got ready for UAAs, started feeling like myself again.

We left Thursday morning for the UAA meet in New York City, did a short run at the Armory, and hung out at the hotel. Watched the Celtics beat the Cavs which was nice, not too nice was Glen Davis' flagrant foul on Varejao. Big Baby should've known better, that was a dirty block. VID: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95jPUwuU8ZM

Well, we got up Friday and were pretty excited to get things rollin. The 800m trials started off the distance events, Julia Alpaio ran a PR of 2:19 to qualify for the finals.
Next came my race, I was feeling pretty solid going into the race, did a few strides and felt like I was ready to get going. Race got out quick, I was at the back of the pack that went out in 27 for the first 200m, then 56 at the 400m.
I tried to move up but found myself still following 4 guys in front.
I ran 1:57.4 which ties my PR. Pretty solid, but there were 8 guys overall who ran 1:56 or better. I didnt make the final, in fact two of the guys who ran 1:56 didnt make it either, so that concluded my indoor season.

Solid run, I was sore the next day, so I know I can run faster. Our Womens DMR won, our Mens DMR got 2nd to Carnegie Mellon. Pretty good stuff, Matt Jennings 3:06 1200m (off of almost no training since he injured his quad a few weeks back), Ming ran a 52, Marc Boutin ran 1:56 (a big PR), and Devon anchored us with a 4:13.
Paul got 2nd in the 5k with a 14:50. Kate Warwick got 6th in 18:30.
Good stuff.

My 1:57 would have gotten 2nd overall in the UAA last year, this year it's not even top 10. Nothing I could do, the field was loaded this year. Those guys made my 1:57 look silly...
It's a good motivator, I want to come back next year faster and stronger, ready to make other racers in the UAA look silly.

My plan now is to relax for a week, take some days off, not run too many miles, and then start training well for outdoors and even for cross. I want to get my mileage up consistently. I think that will help me out next year, as long as I also stay healthy.
1500m outdoors... I haven't given it my best shot yet since last year I was coming off injury and didn't really race many 1500s.

This has been a great indoor season, it's really shown me that I can take my racing to a new level.

No comments: