Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Gearing up for outdoors

What the indoor season proved to me is that my body is capable of running pretty fast.
I had a really long streak of workouts and got pretty tired, but after having taken almost 2-3 down weeks with almost no workouts I ran 1:57 at the Armory in NYC.

So, I'm starting run gear up for outdoors. I've been running about 8 miles every day this week with guys on the team. I've talked to John and a few of us will probably work out by the end of the week.

I'm excited to workout on the outdoor track. The track is still new, we've had no meets on it, but it's been around for only a few years.
Pic I took in the winter:


So with outdoors starting, I have this dilemma with my training.
I've talked with John, and we agree that I can have a pretty good outdoor season if I train well and know when my body needs some down time. It looks like I'll start running around low 60's for miles per week and try to get a few fast 1500m races in.

So that's the plan as of now, run some fast workouts without too many doubles and get some good races in.

I'm okay with that, but there's another part of me that is looking more long-term.
Part of me wants to run about 70 miles per week and double twice a week consistently this outdoor season.
The reason for me wanting to do this is that it will help me in terms of training this summer and next year. I feel that if I run higher mileage then my body will adapt to this level of training eventually and I will have fewer tired streaks.

From looking at what guys on the team have done to become successful, it seems that consistency in terms of training and running higher mileage brings really positive results. Paul ran 60-75 miles per week most of his freshman year and went from a 25:50 8k/ 15:08 5k runner his freshman year to a 25:01/ 14:40s 5k runner this year.

So I have that bargain with myself. If I started doubling and running more miles this spring then I probably will have fewer good races in the spring, but that's a bargain I'm willing to take if I can reach a whole new level of running next year.

I haven't had a good cross country season since high school, I've come into the fall of my freshman and sophomore year either tired of messed up from sporadic or ineffective training. Which has been completely my fault, I ran too fast on some of my runs in the past few summers.. and I had a job at a summer camp that kept me on my feet and tired on my runs.
I feel that a spring of running the miles would help me reach my potential as a cross runner as well as with track running next winter.

So those are my thoughts on that, I'd like to run a fast 1500m... but I think it's more important for me to start running the mileage and train smartly. I've been lucky that I've been consistent with my training this year.. I've been training at 60-65 miles for most of the winter, I even ran 80 miles last fall with no much time off. I am thankful for not having serious injuries that I have had in the past few years.

Anyways, we'll see what happens. Maybe a fast 1500m time after training with 8 miles every day/solid workouts and a longer run on sundays will make me change my mind.

No comments: