Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Blessed with good weather

The past two weeks have been solid weeks of training,
this week so far I've run 30 miles in 3 days total, last week was a 64 mile week, with my first week of training being 56 the week before.

Every Tuesday and Friday has been somewhat nice so far, we've been working out outside on the outdoor track under welcoming temperature and the sun's rays.

This past Sunday I had a wonderful (definitely the appropriate adjective) long run up comm. ave. Ran about 13 miles, it was just one of those runs where I was logging away without really feeling much. We got up slightly before 10AM, and headed to the gym. It was raining pretty heavily outside, temperature was about 40 degrees, but most of us opted to wear as little clothes as possible so that the rain wouldn't soak our clothes and add extra weight.

I wore no gloves, just a light rain-proof new balance jacket over my t-shirt and a pair of shorts. After a few miles we reached the part of Comm Ave by the Newton fire house where the marathon takes a turn from Washington St. Plenty of runners were out in the rain, and we got a lot of smiles, even a few waves and high fives.
I made it almost to BC before turning around. Felt pretty great, one of those runs where I didnt know how fast I was going but I knew my miles were going by pretty quickly. I ended up running through 12 miles in about 1 hour and 19 minutes, and finished the 13 in a little less than 1 hour and 26 minutes. Overall a good time in the rain.

Today we ran a 600,400,200,200,400,600,200,200 progressive workout.
Ran it with Chris, Marc, Mike Stone, and Devon.
To add a little bit of info on these guys;
Chris is a freshman who has run 4:22 this indoor even with taking time off to go to Rome with his family for a week where he basically didnt have time to train.
Marc is also a freshman who ran a 1:56 800m split at his last race which was at UAAs in New York City.
Mike is a senior, who ran 4:17 for the mile last year. Looking to get a solid final track season at Brandeis.
Devon is one of my roommates, a sophomore, who ran a 4:14 mile at BU this indoor, and split a 4:13 1600m in the DMR at UAAs a few weeks back.

Pretty good group of guys to work out with. Back to the 6,4,2's --
The rest varied, there was 2 minutes to 2 1/2 minutes between most intervals, in some cases it was more like 3 minutes.
Pretty quick stuff, our 600s were done in ~1:37-39, 400s in 62-65, and 200s in 27-29.
Felt pretty solid, worked out in my Nike zoom streak xc flats

Pretty good stuff.

This Saturday is the Stonehill Invite, only 2nd annual. It'll be a good meet to get some opening times and see how fit we are in early April. I might be running the 800, but I could also be entered in the 1500m which I would definitely like to race. I'll probably be running plenty of 1500s this spring if all goes well. Looking back on some of the workouts I did indoors, I ran a pretty similar workout as I did today near the time I ran the 3:08 1200m and 4:22 mile on a flat track. I'm definitely feeling fresh and ready to get more work in. Peace March.

No comments: