Sunday, December 21, 2008

I need some more sleep

“We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves. The more restricted our society and work become, the more necessary it will be to find some outlet for this craving for freedom. No one can say, 'You must not run faster than this, or jump higher than that.' The human spirit is indomitable.”
-Sir Roger Bannister

While this quote may be more appropriate for a post about being stressed out about work and how running has helped me gain the sense of "freedom" that Bannister adresses, I'm gonna use it just to describe my feelings about not running the past few days.

I've been sick for two days, I didn't run on Friday, and I went out to run for 20 minutes today and felt exhausted. Reason being, I ate only a bagel all of friday because I wasnt feeling that well. I basically was exhausted and apparently lost about 4 pounds. I think this sickness is attributed to the lack of sleep I've been getting most of the days this week.

Needless to say, I'm dying to run. Even though I'm still exhausted.. I think running would still be healthy for me. Just doing a run offers that certain something; a certain kind of pleasure that nothing else really gives me. Bannister's quote captures it pretty well, it's a pretty limitless activity. In essence you could actually run as fast as you want to, or as far as you want to, or try to combine both. Just thinking about it can get me excited.

Even though I now have 2 days off for this week, I still plan to run some high-quality mileage the next few weeks if I feel better come Monday. Today was a productive day; I went out, went to the BU mini meet with James Vance, and hung out there, watched a few races, and did my "run" at about 8 minute pace through the sidewalk snow. James ran a PR of 4:34 for the mile. He hasn't run the mile since high school, his PR was 4:39, so he was pretty content. Also, Nate Jenkins, who runs under Saucony, ran the mile at the meet: He won in 4:15. I'm 3/3 for seeing this guy (a pro marathoner) run a midstance event at a track meet this winter. Good stuff, I wonder what's prompting him to come down to the event.

Well, I'm not at school right now so I can get some quality sleep in. I could sleep all day if I wanted to tonight. Also, Phil Vance told me that fasting once a month is a Yoga Technique and can actually help you rid the toxins of your body. People have told me that if you don't eat, muscle gets burned off before fat. Phil told me that actually the body gets rid of the toxins and other sources before going to the muscles.
Whenever I get mixed opinions like in this case, I guess I just force myself to get back to the real issue "Is not eating good?"
I'm gonna say, "No, probably not" unless of course when your body doesnt need to eat.
Good Health.

No comments: