Sunday, May 10, 2009

Figuring out where I'm at

I've been sitting at my computer for a few minutes after having come back from a 10 mile run. As I was sitting here listening to "Talk amongst yourselves" by Grand National, I remembered that I haven't updated my blog in a little while.

My outdoor season hasn't been that great, and I haven't performed nearly well enough to what I would have liked.

It's been an interesting season so far. I started off running some really solid workouts. I ran probably my best 4 mile tempo of college, ran a really solid 6,4,2,2,4,6,2,2 workout.. one that was close to what I ran in indoors when I ran 4:22, and before that when I felt I was in sub 4:20 shape.
I ran 60-65 miles per week every week, all in singles, with exceptions of a few down weeks.
I came off the 6,4,2 workout with a 4:09 1500m in my season opener. Wasn't pleased with it. After that race, ran a solid 400 repeat workout averaging 64 seconds for 400m.
Then I don't really know what happened afterwards, I took a few down weeks, ran a 1500m over 4:10, then ran a 2:01 800m going all out at CMU in Pittsburgh for the UAA Championship meet.

It was a tough time. For some reason I haven't been working out well after that meet.
The thing is, it is definitely me, something is going on.

My teammates are running superbly! The Guys ran a 7:47 4x800 at UAAs, and ran a 7:43 just yesterday at New Englands. We've had 3 guys run 4 minutes or better for 1500m. We've had 5 guys run 1:56 or better for 800 meters.
We have three girls who have run 4:42 or better for 1500m (5:00 mile equivilant)

So everyone is rocking! for some reason, my season hasn't been going the way I would've liked it.
John and I have been communicating well, after UAA's we talked about continuing to work out and trying to get a good race in at the Bentley High Performance Meets (May 20th, June 9th). I also started doubling once or twice a week and taking a day off on wednesdays maybe once a week or every other week to get my miles up to 70mpw.

So I'm at home now, school went pretty well this semester. Probably best GPA of my time at Brandeis.
The thing with my running now, is now that I'm at home I have a lot of time to rest up.
But for some reason I've been having hard times breathing on my runs this week.
Last week I took two days off, and ran a workout in which John made me stop early, and have now been feeling pretty cruddy on my runs at home.

I need to figure out what's the deal.
Maybe allergies are hitting me hard.

I'll be okay, only a little left before I take some down time (Probably in June) before Cross COuntry training.

No comments: