Sunday, February 19, 2012

Lincoln Train Station


There's nothing like this place.

Just came back from a long run with Matt Jennings that began at the entrance of the lincoln reservations, aside the lot of the Lincoln Train Station.

I've blogged about this place in the past. It is a truly unique venue for running in the Northeast. There are fewer places in MA where you can go out for a 90+ minute run (if you wanted to) and never cross the same path that you had been running on. The Lincoln Train Station path is the gateway to miles of trail/forest reservations in Lincoln, including the great paths of Walden Pond! (Probably 3-4 trail miles away from the Station)

Every Sunday in the summer, going in to the cross country season, I would meet up with a bunch of the Deis guys to crush 12-16 miles. Matt and I have been doing this for years, and have since gained expertise on the layout of the trail. I ran 7 with him and added on a little in one of the farm paths near the station towards the end of the run. Finished a lovely 11 miles in an hour and 17.

I love running at this place not only because of the network of trails, but because of the serene beauty of Lincoln. The clear trails take you for miles past vast farm lands, with livestock chatting about. They take you past legendary tall trees, giant hills (Including Mt. Misery), and famous landmarks. There is one excellent view that is hidden in the reservation, that overlooks most of the eastern Massachusetts area - even showing a glimpse of the Boston City skyline.

I plan to do more running here, as I am getting in better shape, and will be looking forward to every minute of it.

Side note: While on a recent date [more like January?] with a girl, I described my Sunday runs with the guys as a barbarian-like experience. I used the metaphor of us being like a pack of wolves crushing through miles of unsettled territory. She seemed to think that was too much, and there was never another date after that... but that's her loss. I doubt she'd appreciate Lincoln in the same way.
Cheers.

No comments: