Thursday, July 7, 2011

Starting over, fresh!

So it's really been a year since I sat down and updated my running blog. A lot has happened since last summer, I graduated Brandeis, I finished my collegiate running career, I went to Europe for 20 days, I found a job, I found a new apartment, and I took about 2 months off from any serious running.

Well, here I am, an adult man who works from 7:30-5 during the week. Where do I stand in terms of being an athlete? How do I adjust to my new work hours and fit in time for running? What goals do I have, now that I am done with my competitive collegiate career?

These are certainly the things I've thought about, and want to address in this post. I guess I will start off by listing a few pieces of information:

1. I graduated in May
2. I went to Europe until June 20th, and didn't run a single step.
3. I came back extremely jetlagged
4. I started an excellent job at the end of June
5. I am waaaay out of shape
6. I weigh 15 pounds more than I did my sophomore year when I ran my mile PR

but most importantly,
7. I want to keep training and racing.


Overall, The last 8 years of running have been incredibly amazing. I've had my ups and downs, in terms of performances, but I've made many immortal memories that I will always hold dear.

My senior year of collegiate running was very unsuccessful by my standards. There was no race that I was proud of. I came into the season having run 80-90 miles per week during August, and I just felt burnt out going into the XC season. I seemed to be fighting the whole way to get into racing shape. I discovered that I am also allergic to almost every type of Grass and Tree in New England. That surely didn't help my breathing, or even ability to workout well. My indoor track season didn't fair much better, I ran a number of sub-par 800s and a very dismal mile. My outdoor season was cut short after just one poor 800.

The take away? I really feel like I didn't accomplish everything that I wanted to. Or at least, now I don't feel like I satisfied my yearning to be fast and achieve my goals. I have this deep need, to get back to a level of training where I can consistently feel good running. After that step, I think I will be able to get back into solid racing shape, and hopefully see more improvement in my times at various distances.

So, with that sentiment, I began my summer training last week! I ran 5 days a week, posting 25 miles for the week (Ran 5 miles on those runs).... a lot of 5's.

This week I started off with a 5 on Sunday, the Duxbury road race (4.2) on Monday, a 6 miler on Tuesday, and a 7 miler yesterday. I am hoping to get my mileage up to around 60 by the end of July, and keep it around there for the month of August.

The Goal: Get back into distance racing form during the Fall. I'd like to run the mayors cup 8K in October/November. I'd also like to race a half marathon in September.

So, I'm setting out now! If I can adjust to this work schedule and stay healthy, then heck I will get back to being a solid racer again!!!

Good health to all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

weird how youve graduated and are a real person. i miss having you as captain, hope youre not getting too fat, i have 3.5 years left of college competing. i wish the best upon your future and forever remember the good times
-ross