Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Finally back to normal

I'm in the midst of finals week, but the track season isn't over.

So far, I've only raced once, since getting the death cough in January. I ran a sub-par 1500m at Fitchburg in early April.

I've kinda got back into the swing of things. It took about three months, but I finally have that feeling, while working out, that I'm in shape and can tear up the track.
Last week I ran a 20 minute tempo workout, averaging 5:22 per/ mile. Then John had me do 4x200m pick ups. I ran 28 seconds for each one, felt really strong.

Yesterday, I ran a 6,4,2,6,4,2,6,4,2 workout. Each set was slightly faster than the previous one. While doing some warm-up strides, before starting the workout, I noticed how fluid my body felt while almost sprinting. I haven't had this feeling in a long time. Basically, I started my stride, got to about 85-90% of my full sprint for 80 meters, and by the time I had finished I really didn't feel like I needed to breathe more rapidly than I did before I started.

I guess that means I'm getting back in shape! I had the same feeling during my intervals in my workout, my breathing just didn't feel that stressed, until maybe the last 400 interval. Also, my arm rhythm felt really smooth, I didn't get the burning sensation in my triceps that I do sometimes when I'm finishing an interval.

Overall good feeling. The plan is either to race a New-Balance meet, or to just get myself into good fitness again before I take some time off and start summer cross country training. The collegiate races, other than ECACS and Nationals, are basically over, so I would race in an open meet if I were to race.

I ran 7 miles with Devon today, around 7:10/ mile. Just chilling. So, I'm feeling really good. I'm only running 45 miles/ week right now, tapering off. I'm eager to jump into training for my last season of cross country...
but who knows,
Maybe i'll get something out of this fitness. Feeling smooth.

No comments: